REGIONAL DIRECTOR OF MAJOR GIVING
Reference Number: RDMGFWWMRI
Location: Southern California
REGIONAL DIRECTOR OF MAJOR GIVING
Based in Southern California
Limited Telecommuting will be accommodated for this position
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley is an Executive Search Firm with a sole focus in the Nonprofit Sector. We operate on a national scale and specialize in the placement of senior level executives and fundraising professionals.
Our Client, Food & Water Watch (FWW- www.foodandwaterwatch.org), has retained us to recruit a Regional Director of Major Giving to join their Development team. Food & Water Watch is a leading national consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge organizing campaigns that champion healthy food and clean water for all. They stand up to corporations that prioritize profit before people, and advocate for a democracy that improves people’s lives and protects the environment.
The Regional Director of Major Giving (Regional Director) is instrumental in identifying and developing external relationships with supporters and activists, cultivating those relationships to the point of solicitation, and then soliciting (or helping solicit) significant gifts over $5,000. The Regional Director has a portfolio of prospects and donors to cultivate, solicit and steward. The Regional Director is also part of the California team and helps to support the overall fundraising operations in the state, including major donors, foundations, and planned giving.
The Regional Director will report to and work closely with the Deputy Director of Development based in Washington, DC and is a key member of the major gift team. The position also works closely with a variety of FWW staff, including the Executive Director, the COO, program directors, and organizing staff in California. This position will be based out of FWW’s Los Angeles office, however telecommuting will be accommodated.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 to 100 prospects. Provide consistent cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship through personal visits, telephone calls, written proposals and other communications for FWW priority projects.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the major gifts program for the region, supervising annual gifts of $5,000 and more and special gifts from these and other donors.
- Establish and maintain a donor cultivation cycle and gift stewardship program to ensure that new major donors are developed, have opportunities to increase their level of support annually, and enjoy a close relationship to the station.
- Perform prospect research to qualify potential major donors as necessary.
- Maintain a working knowledge of FWW national campaign priorities, with specific attention paid to efforts in relevant states.
- Prepare written materials, including correspondence, solicitation materials, acknowledgements, and regular communications as part of the stewardship program.
- Coordinate Major Gifts cultivation and recognition events.
- Work with Deputy Director and Senior Leadership to establish budget goals and strategies to reach them. Provide regular analysis and reporting on progress to goals.
- Work closely with the Director of Development, the California Region team, and the Outreach and Education team to help ensure full integration and coordination of development activities with other FWW programs and related outreach efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years fundraising experience. Experience within an advocacy environment is a plus.
- Demonstrated success personally soliciting gifts at the five-figure level and above.
- A track record of portfolio management resulting in meeting/exceeding yearly solicitation goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with FWW leadership, staff, prospects and donors.
- Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing events and other complex activities in support of development initiatives.
- Strong computer proficiency.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to make effective presentations to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting research and assembling data, analyzing information, and preparing effective, accurate and timely reports and other documents to support development activities.
- Salesforce or other CRM experience preferred.
- Familiarity with consumer and environmental issues helpful.
- Ability to travel regionally, with occasional national travel.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to drive the development efforts of a high growth organization carrying out a vital mission.
Food & Water Watch offers an attractive compensation plan and excellent benefits, including 100% employer paid medical and disability insurance.
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and cover letter (Word Docs please) to:
Owner / Manager; Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley