MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER
Reference Number: AVOWMGO
Location: Naples, Florida
Major Gift Officer
Based in Collier County, FL
Management Recruiters - Mid Hudson Valley is an executive search firm focused solely in serving the nonprofit sector. We have a national practice and the large majority of our placements are executive leadership and senior fundraising professionals.
Our client is Avow Hospice (www.avowcares.org). Located in Naples, FL, Avow is a non-profit, independent community hospice serving over 1600 patients and hundreds of family and community members annually throughout Collier County. Founded in 1983, Avow’s focus is in providing comfort, care, understanding and dignity to those who are seriously ill, caring for a frail or sick loved one or mourning someone’s passing. They have engaged us to recruit and place a Major Gifts Officer with them.
The Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the Vice President of Advancement and the Director of Advancement to plan and implement strategy for individual major and planned gifts and donor relationship management (manage, nurture, upgrade) to meet short and long term goals of the organization. The Major Gifts Officer plays a critical role in increasing individual donor and foundation support and acts as an ambassador for Avow across the community. They are responsible for overseeing the stewardship of assigned current donors and solicitation of prospective donors for annual gifts, for the Capital Campaign, planned gifts and any other special campaigns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a personal portfolio of current donors and prospects, including individuals and foundations; communicate with portfolio constituents through face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings, as well as written strategies; ensure that a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship is in place for each major donor and prospect.
- Develop solicitation strategies for donors/prospects in support of the organizations capital campaign, planned giving, and other giving programs; ensure strategies are compatible and maximize opportunities with other existing campaigns and appeals.
- Conceive, plan, and execute a major gifts program.
- Inspire support from a variety of constituent groups.
- Support the fundraising efforts of high-level volunteers, including the Board of Directors, and senior staff in securing new and renewed gifts.
- With the Vice President of Advancement and the Director of Advancement, create and manage budgets for special campaigns; track and report on progress to goal to senior management and directors, including contacts, gifts, pledges and planned gifts.
- Support solicitation tracking reports for all fundraisers working on special campaigns; provide meeting support materials to fundraisers and other senior management, including talking points, solicitation materials, background, and follow-up proposals.
- Work with Development staff on screening and preparing profiles of current and prospective donors; establish and refine benchmarks for department research processes.
- Support the design and implementation of donor recognition strategies and events.
- Support the Vice President of Advancement on strategies and supporting materials for the organization’s planned giving program, including research and communication to the Development and Finance departments on issues related to charitable trust and estate matters.
- With the Director of Advancement and Development staff, design special campaign-related events targeted to current and prospective donors.
- Be a visible presence at Advancement/Development special events, such as receptions, major donor cultivation and public education events, and fundraisers such as the annual gala. Participate in Advancement/Development department meetings.
- Represent Avow in the community.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree would be a plus.
- Minimum of four years of direct experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts of $25,000 and above, or equivalent satisfactory experience.
- Donor database experience and knowledge of Raisers Edge is highly desired. High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and a working knowledge of search functions for donor research purposes.
- Willing to be hands-on in a role that is demanding and requires a high level of energy.
- Have a strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
- Exhibit superior interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues, and donors.
- Demonstrate strong work ethic, professional manner, and the ability to represent Avow well.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete assignments when faced with deadlines and competing requirements.
Avow provides a very generous compensation / benefits package and a meaningful and fulfilling mission.
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter to:
Owner / Manager
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 845-227-3161